Monday, October 7, 2013

Trivial Post #7: So I Have An Idea

So I've been thinking, which is scary enough and maybe even illegal in 7 states - but I digress...I had an idea and I seriously need feedback and input from the webcomic community.

I want to attempt something to hopefully boost webcomic exposure.  However I don't know what that is, specifically.  I had thought of maybe organizing a "webcomic con" so to speak.  Something that would afford an opportunity for any webcomic artist to contribute a valiant piece of themselves and their art - in one panel. Why the one panel you ask? Well:

As I first went down this road in my head, my initial thought was that a one panel post would be a concise way to get involved, and keep the format rather simple.  The goal would be to have as many participate as possible, and having one panel per artist would create a clean gallery or "row" for viewers and other artists to absorb. But also, when it comes to comics/comic strips, I've always appreciated the one panel gag more than anything.  Don't get me wrong, I love comic strips and recurring characters, etc., but there is a certain challenge that exists within the one panel post.  To present an idea, set the idea in motion and resolve the idea in one panel (gag) is so satisfying to read.

However, the one panel comic idea is just that - an idea.  I have an inclination that the one panel exercise could challenge us as artists, producing some really great work.  I would even support the notion of competition - perhaps each entry could be voted on by the public as well as the participants.  Then again, it might be a bad idea with little to no interest.

This is why I need feedback.  Ideas.  Anything.  Does this sound like something that would be a fun way to boost the webcomic community, increase our own interaction with one another and even challenge us to improve at the same time?

This idea is in it's infancy, so it can be shot down with relative ease and little pain at this point.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're pondering how to get more exposure for everyone, but I'm not sure this is the way to do it. It's essentially the same thing as "just the first frame" and just about all the other hub sites. Also, hitting people with a big page of images will just make their brains shut down. We need to ponder if we're trying to get more people who already read comics, or try to get people who don't read comics. Also, a one-panel gag wouldn't do anything for long-form/drama comics who tend to have different audiences than gag comics. Just more stuff to consider. I've been thinking about it all too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boom! Excellent point Kathy - and Jon had mentioned some of this as well. I thought about the long form folk, and had serious pause as to how they might be included. This is why I wanted to discuss it before trying it. I would rather it be something original and awesome if I'm going to do it.

      So...this leaves us with a dilemma: what could we do that is different, awesome and inclusive that would boost exposure? At least a dialogue has been initiated.

      As far as target audience, getting those who already read comics seems implied. But how great would it be to wrangle in new readers who never knew webcomics was a "thing"? Gah, Kathy! I didn't want to think this hard before lunch :)

      Delete